Thursday 1 November 2012

32 Days of Juicing Have Come to an End and Why I've Become Mostly Vegan

Well, yesterday was Day 32 of my juice fast and I decided to make it my last day. I made this decision for several reasons.

1.) I was beginning to notice a lack of energy for everyday activities like shopping.
2.) I was hungry ALL THE TIME
3.) I didn't have the energy for exercise. When I did a 3 mile run, I came home, collapsed on the couch, and then fell asleep.

My prideful and competitive spirit wanted me to keep going to my goal of 60 days. It was saying "I'll make it to day 60 if I die trying!!"

However, the sensible side of me knew that my body was telling me it was time to start eating again.

That being said, I have gained a lot from this fast. Or lost, however you want to look at it. I lost a total of 20 pounds on the fast, which is in addition to the 20 pounds I lost after my surgery, so I am very happy about that. I have also gained an appreciation and taste for vegetables, many of which I didn't like at all before, such as beets. This is a very good thing as I'm fairly sure my future will be full of vegetables :p

Now that the juice fast is over and I've lost 20 pounds, the temptation is to go out and stuff myself with junk food. But that's not at all what I'm going to do. The end of this juice fast is the beginning of another journey, one that will hopefully last for the rest of my life. This is a journey of eating for health. This means LOTS of fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains; and very limited amounts of animal products (milk, cheese, eggs, meat) and processed foods, especially those high in added salt, sugar, and oil. The book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman is an excellent book that has done a lot to change the way I think about food, and I highly recommend it! Also, the movie "Forks Over Knives" was very influential in my decision to eat this way. There are many many reasons, with scientific research to back them up, to eat a mostly vegan whole foods plant-based diet. "Eat to Live" and "Forks Over Knives" both do an excellent job of explaining these reasons.

 This doesn't mean that I won't enjoy delicious food, or that I'll be crunching on celery and carrot sticks all the time. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm finding that when I stop eating large amounts of processed food, salt, and sugar, I'm actually able to enjoy food more, and taste so many more amazing flavors. I enjoy my food, instead of just mindlessly stuffing my face to fulfill an emotional need or a craving.

This also doesn't mean that I will NEVER eat eggs or meat or cheese or milk again. It just means it will be a rare occurance when I do eat them. It means that I will definitely be eating Red Mango or Pink Berry from time to time! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment